Translate

Monday, March 24, 2014

Is somebody sitting there? Yes. Oh the struggles of being an awkward asian

So this weekend has been one of the weirdest most enlightening experiences of my high school existence. And that's saying a-lot. On a scale of introverts to nacho cheese dip, it would probably be around MarioKart.

We should start from the beginning... a chronological account of my weekend

It all started that day. That fateful day. So there I was, minding my own business, reading a book (Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, just in case you cared) when I realized that there was an emptiness in the room, in the exact shape of my sister (Rachel). So we set up a trip to get me up to OH.

 March 22 at 7:00 am

I made my way to Philadelphia where the Megabus was waiting for me. We're not really going to recount the 7 hour and 10 minute bus ride to College-land because it was boring and monotonous, filled with shady looking people, my DS, and Paul the Llama.



After offering everyone on the bus ride a duck cookie, and getting met with weird looks I acknowledged the fact that I would not be making friends on this trip and as a result would sit in my seat like a good little asian and not make eye contact.

So that's what I did.

I got picked up by my sister, Mary Ciaccia (the greatest singer in the world, youtube it), and their friend, who then proceeded to eat the friendship duck cookies as we sang melodious tunes on the 40 minute car drive back to campus.

On my arrival we shuffled our way over to the "Caf" (aka the glorified cafeteria) where I was introduced to some more of my sisters very....enthusiastic...friends. God Bless them... please. Juuuuust kidding they were awesome. I was just a little swamped from the long bus ride, (doing nothing is so tiring) so loud noises weren't exactly my best friend. So I just sat and awkwardly picked at the sandwich in front of me.

From there the night was sort of a blur, one thing after the next as I was shuffled back and forth 
through the campus meeting this friend and that, while experiencing the joys of walking the Steubenville Campus. I swear, no matter where you walk, you are always walking up hill. No wonder everyone's is such good shape up here.

We went to a Mike Mangione's concert where he sang like a belting angel. And in that calming atmosphere of a Presbyterian Church Basement, I met the Lord again and got chills for the first time in a long time.

End of Day One

Self-acknowledgements so far: 
  1. You are awkward. 
  2. You can't speak in groups of 3 or more. 
  3. You're Asian and you own a DS = you are a nerd. 
  4. You read books for fun. 
  5. You don't like college food. 
  6. You like all your sisters friends
  7. You tried to make friends by telling them you made a llama cookie named Paul.... why?

Amen.


Favorite Quote:

Can Rachel be the adopted one?

No comments:

Post a Comment